New Wireless Trail
Open for the first time to the public, the free wireless trail using ColorCode enables visitors holding mobile devices with cameras and internet connection (such as smartphones) to learn about the flora and fauna at SBWR. After downloading the ColorCam software onto their devices, visitors can explore the reserve and take pictures of 25 coded images when they spot them throughout the trail. Information about animals and plants found at SBWR will be sent to their devices, and visitors will be able to learn about mangrove biodiversity through videos, images, music, games and quizzes. By October this year, the number of codes at SBWR will be increased to 40. With the changing environment, NParks will also update the web-based content along the trail and change the content twice a year during the migratory season and non-migratory season.
Suitable for visitors aged nine and above, the new wireless learning trail at SBWR is supported by Colorzip SEA Pte Ltd. Jean Claude Donato, General Manager SEA at ColorZip, commented: "To ensure ubiquity of ColorCode in Singapore, it is important to ensure a rich and great experience to all generations and especially the next generation. This new trail makes each journey in SBWR a more colourful experience and I can see fantastic opportunities to deliver cool, engaging and rich content to visitors, youth and pupils who will learn faster and with more fun!".
Fifteen visitors participated in a trail last November, and it was well-received. One of the participants, Brian Ong, 40, a nature educator, said: "More people are using smartphones, and this wireless trail is very timely. It is like providing visitors with electronic brochures, and this is more interesting because it incorporates videos. We are also saving more trees as the use of paper is reduced."
Instructions to download software to scan the codes:
- Go to your phone menu and select browser.
- Select options and choose "Go to address".
- Type www.czip.sg
- You may have a choice to dowload the software by wireless @sg or 3G/GPRS
- Find the download link for your phone model to download ColorCam.
- Follow the instructions to install the software.
- Find ColorCam in your phones installation or games folder.
- You are ready to scan codes now!
- Scan the code below to test.
- Code Name: sb
- 3G data charges by your phone network provider applies.
- The software download is free.
- Wireless@sg is only available for codes located at the Visitor Centre and Mangrove Boardwalk.
In the press: